Reiki is a Japanese word that means “Universal Life Energy”. The word “Rei” actually signifies “spirit” or “divine” and “ki” signfies the vital essence of the universe.
Reiki healing is ancient. It was discovered and named by Master Mikao Usui of Kyoto, Japan. In the late 1800’s, his study of world wide healing methods led him to a Zen Buddhist monastery in Tibet. There he found Sanskrit texts at least 2500 years old which described healing methods similar to what he would eventually call Reiki. What he did not find was information on activating the energy necessary for healing.
According to traditional stories, Master Usui was given this information, which came in the form of symbols, following a 21 day pilgrimage, fasting and meditating on Mount Kuri Yama.
After this discovery, he devoted his life to healing and teaching.
What Reiki Does:
- Reiki is not a religion, but a healing connection. It is a gentle noninvasive method of touch on a series of body points.
- Reiki removes energy blockages and balances vital energy, thus reducing stress, pain and suffering, and supporting healing.
- Reiki promotes deep relaxation of body and mind, helping to heal the whole person; body, mind, emotion and spirit.
- It addresses the source of disease, not just the symptoms of disease.
- Both the giver and the receiver of Reiki are gifted with a sense of peace, well-being and caring.
What To Expect In A Reiki Session:
- Reiki can be done anywhere. You may lie on a massage table or sit in a chair. If you are bringing a baby or young child, you may hold the child in your lap.
- Most people choose to remove shoes and metal jewelry, especially watches.
- A tissue may be placed over your eyes to encourage introspection.
- You may wish to listen to soothing music.
- You might fall asleep.
- You may talk if you wish.
- You should just relax and enjoy.
What To Expect After A Reiki Session:
- Reiki accelerates healing. Because healing is sped up, you may experience some initial discomfort, but this is generally very tolerable and is not common.
- You may feel peaceful or emotional as old patterns surface for healing.
- You may feel very energized or peaceful for a few days.
- Drink plenty of water, to help flush toxins out of the body.
- You may feel a need to examine your lifestyle or to adopt more positive, healthful habits.
Transformational Reiki combines the profound relaxation and healing energy of Reiki with guided visualization, helping you identify and eliminate thought and behavior patterns that interfere with your experience of radiant vitality in any aspect of your life.